Community Health and Nutrition, Economic Development, Gender Empowerment and sustainability in rural Mukono
Warm greetings from Empower And Care Organization (EACO), in Uganda East Africa.
We would like you to join with us for a Development and Sustainabilityof Mukono District , Uganda
- About Empower And Care Organization (EACO)
The Empower And Care Organization (EACO) is a community based organization that provides physical and psychosocial support to marginalized and at-risk women, vulnerable children & orphans, youth and the elderly living in the Mukono district. The organization seeks to empower these groups of people through economic development, which it achieves through education programs, vocational training, and the provision of health care. EACO also campaigns for Poverty, HIV/AIDS and human rights awareness and provides direct support to children who have been orphaned as a result of the Poverty, HIV/AIDS, Violence, and Displacement by War or Conflict.
- Evaluation of indigenous food systems of Mukono community to access nutrition of local foods.
- Develop dietary recommendations from indigenous foods for overall health of Mukono community.
- Sustainable vegetable production for food and nutrition needs of families of Mukono District.
- Assistance for agribusiness development of fresh produce for economic empowerment of small-scale women farmers.
- Develop a plan for potential school lunch program to ensure nutritional balance in primary school.
- Develop resources to educate pregnant and nursing mothers about nutrition for a healthy mother and child.
- Evaluation of indigenous food systems of Mukono community to assess nutrition of local foods: Develop a survey questionnaire for collection of information about food habits, meals and diet of Mukono community. Perform nutritional evaluation on this data to develop community specific reference booklet for overall nutrition of indigenous foods of Mukono District. Evaluate to see if supplementation of dietary needs is required. Assist to find economically feasible sources of supplementation.
- Dietary recommendations of indigenous foods for overall health of Mukono community: Based on the data from Objective 1, make dietary recommendations and health charts. Educate community members for meal combinations that will ensure sound health and nutrition.
- Sustainable vegetable production for food and nutrition needs of families of Mukono District: Use dietary recommendations and evaluation report from Objective 1 & 2 in identifying potential vegetable crops for production. Develop a dual-crop system, with one crop specific for family nutritional needs and other for commercial purposes. Train women farmers for all stages of procurement of seeds, crop production, processing and storage. Find seed donors from public research institutions. In the long-term, establish a seed-bank to ensure sustainable supply of high quality seeds.
- Assistance for agribusiness development of fresh produce for economic empowerment of small-scale women farmers: Identify potential local and international markets for speciality crops that will ensure financial empowerment. Educate women entrepreneurs for basic skills required for trade, marketing and customer relations.
- Development of a plan for potential school lunch program to ensure nutritional balance in primary school: The results from Objectives 1 & 2 will be utilized to develop a plan for school lunch program. Assistance will be provided to seek potential funding agencies and donors to support this program.
- Development of resources to educate pregnant and nursing mothers about nutritional requirements for a healthy mother and child: Develop survey questionnaire to gather information about the current status of care for pregnant and nursing women. Develop resources to educate women about the importance of nutrition and during pregnancy and at the nursing stage. Make dietary and nutritional recommendations to ensure maternal and child health.
We request you to stand with us into this project and help us in every little way that it may be possible.